SUNSHINE, SERENDIPITY, PARAFERNALIA
Sunshine, Serendipity and Parafernalia
It has been a long time since I last wrote here. The blame lies with a novel in three volumes that has eaten my evenings, my weekends and a good deal of my conversation. Now that Los Años Dorados (The Golden Days, in its forthcoming English edition) is out in the world and walking on its own, I come back to the blog with something light: my three favourite words. Two are English and one is Spanish, and I suspect that between them they describe me better than any CV.
Sunshine
Spanish needs three words to say it, luz del sol, or else settles for plain sol. English manages with one, made of two bright syllables: the sun and its shine. I like it because it sounds like the thing it names, and because the English keep it so handy in the dictionary and so scarce in the sky. Perhaps that is why they also use it as a term of affection. We do much the same: in Spanish, to tell someone they are a dear, we say eres un sol, you are a sun.
A good part of what I tell in my novels began just like that: with English people travelling south in search of what their language names so well and their climate denies them.
Serendipity
This one has a known father. Horace Walpole coined it in a letter of 1754, from a Persian tale, The Three Princes of Serendip, Serendip being the old name for Ceylon. The princes, he wrote, "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things which they were not in quest of". The second half is the one that matters: luck alone is not enough, you have to recognise it when it walks past.
Spanish has since borrowed it as serendipia, but I still prefer the original, with that y at the end.
I was not looking for a saga. I was trying, if anything, to understand why it hurt to watch the English Algeciras disappear, and along the way I stumbled on a newspaper article about the gardens those English families left behind. It was one of the sparks. It has happened to me so often since, with people and with documents, that I have come to think of it as one more sense, and one of my most reliable.
Parafernalia
This one I want in Spanish, with an f where English insists on ph. It comes from the Greek parápherna, "what goes beside the dowry": the property a married woman brought to the marriage and kept as her own. Under the name bienes parafernales it stayed in the Spanish Civil Code until the reform of 1981. From "what is mine and goes with me" it came to mean the whole collection of objects that surround a person, a trade or a ceremony.
I live surrounded by it. A historical novel is built out of parafernalia, and the cover of Los Años Dorados proves it: a teacup, an old wireless, a key, a toy aeroplane, a feather, a ticket for the bullring. Each object holds a chapter.
Two English words and one Spanish. Light, chance and clutter. With those three things, and a good deal of patience, you can write a saga.



Comments
Post a Comment